This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn our disclosure policy.
Want a 5-minute cocktail? Do this bourbon mule for a refreshing and zesty little sip. No copper mug required, but it surely does really feel extraordinary if entertaining visitors or it is a deal with your self, put your ft up and have a cocktail form of day!
You have in all probability had a Moscow mule, the traditional model of this drink, served with vodka, ginger beer, and lime. This bourbon mule recipe has very comparable elements, so you will get all of the zippy, citrusy, spicy flavors that you recognize and love, solely served with bourbon as an alternative!
What’s a bourbon mule?
A mule is a cocktail that has 3 key elements: ginger beer, lime, and a spirit.
Within the unique model of a mule, the spirit used is vodka and dubbed a Moscow Mule (despite the fact that the cocktail was born within the US within the Forties.) Within the case of a bourbon mule, the spirit added is the Kentucky traditional, bourbon whiskey. That is why you might also know this cocktail by its different identify, Kentucky Mule.
A bourbon mule or a Kentucky mule retains all the flavour from the ginger beer and contemporary lime but additionally provides some delicate bourbon-y flavors like wooden and smoke.
What’s the very best bourbon for a Kentucky mule?
Whereas there are many lists on the market that reply this query with first-hand taste-testing knowledge, what usually tops the checklist of prompt bourbons to make use of in a Kentucky mule are people who have a daring, spicy profile. The highest-ranking bourbons for a bourbon mule are usually aged in oak barrels.
Whereas testing this bourbon mule recipe, we used 2 ounces of broadly obtainable Jim Bean bourbon. In case you have a favourite bourbon, this bourbon mule cocktail is a scrumptious strategy to sip it.
Tips on how to make a bourbon mule
The beauty of a bourbon mule or a Kentucky mule is that it requires no particular bar instruments – you do not even want the copper cup if you do not have one! Listed below are the 2 steps you will take to make a crisp, citrusy bourbon mule:
- Fill your cup: Add ice to your cup or copper mug and pour the bourbon over high. Then add contemporary lime juice and ginger beer.
- Garnish: Though not mandatory, this easy cocktail feels additional particular with a few contemporary mint leaves and lime wedges.
This Kentucky mule is ideal on a heat day, however the bourbon additionally makes it a great cocktail for fall. Actually, it is scrumptious any time you are feelin’ for one thing refreshing with a great zing! This is what you will must make the bourbon mule recipe:
- Bourbon: Go on your favourite bourbon or decide a bottle that is described as daring and spicy. It would solely improve the already daring and semi-spicy taste of the ginger beer.
- Lime: Squeeze some contemporary lime juice on your cocktail. Belief that the bottled stuff simply would not pack the identical citrus punch.
- Ginger beer: That is the important thing to a very good mule. Ginger beer is good, spicy, and bubbly because it’s manufactured from carbonated water, cane sugar, and ginger root. It is the best choice for a mule. In a pinch you possibly can substitute ginger ale.
- Garnishes: Take a easy bevy and switch it into one thing fancy with some sliced lime or lime wheels, contemporary mint leaves, or contemporary ginger slices.
Extra mule recipes
Now we have loads of mule recipes so that you can strive!
Is a bourbon mule the identical factor as a Kentucky mule?
Positive is! Bourbon has a wealthy historical past in Kentucky, and so the drink is sometimes called a Kentucky mule.
Can I take advantage of ginger ale as an alternative of ginger beer?
Ginger beer is the popular bubbly soda to incorporate in your bourbon mule. It has a pronounced, spicy ginger taste. Ginger ale, alternatively, is sweeter and has a extra delicate taste.
Can I take advantage of one other sort of alcohol as an alternative of bourbon?
You may, nevertheless, if you swap the bourbon out you will be making one other variation of a mule. For instance, a Moscow mule makes use of vodka and a Mexican mule makes use of tequila.
Do I must serve a bourbon mule in a copper mug?
The copper mug is designed to maintain a chilly drink good and frosty. If you do not have copper mugs you possibly can completely use an everyday glass.
Fill a glass with ice after which add the bourbon and lime juice. Prime with some ginger beer after which give your mule a fast stir.
2 ounces bourbon, 1 ounce lime juice, 4 ounces ginger beer
Garnish with a couple of lime wedges and a few mint and serve straight away.
Lime wedges and mint
Serving: 1 bourbon mule, Energy: 177kcal (9%), Carbohydrates: 12g (4%), Protein: 0.1g, Fats: 0.02g, Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.01g, Sodium: 9mg, Potassium: 35mg (1%), Fiber: 0.1g, Sugar: 11g (12%), Vitamin A: 14IU, Vitamin C: 9mg (11%), Calcium: 7mg (1%), Iron: 0.3mg (2%)