This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn our disclosure policy.
Oatmeal and pumpkin are two of the best issues about fall – and this recipe makes use of each of them! This pumpkin oatmeal recipe is wholesome, simple, and fast – you may whip it up within the time it takes your espresso to brew!
Oatmeal can get a nasty rap for being bland, boring, and mushy. Not THIS bowl of oatmeal: this has pumpkin pie taste (not bland), gentle bites of apple (not boring), and one of the best half is the candy and crunchy maple pecan crumble (not mushy!)
Breakfast does not get cozier than this warming pumpkin porridge – it can coax you away from bed on even the chilliest mornings. It is the right reply to, ‘What do I do with my leftover pumpkin puree?’ It is filled with vitamin all whereas being low in salt and energy. Plus, the style will make anybody grow to be a morning individual!
This oatmeal tastes like do-it-yourself pumpkin pie, however continues to be a wholesome breakfast! Here’s what you want:
- Pecans – For a wealthy, buttery, nut taste.
- Maple syrup – To sweeten up the crunch.
- Butter – Brings all of it collectively.
- Sea salt – Only a pinch of salt!
- Water – For cooking the oats.
- Rolled oats – The nice and cozy, hearty base. Get licensed gluten-free if wanted.
- Apple – Any apple works nice, however grannysmith, fuji, or honeycrisp can be our high picks as they’re firmer in order that they maintain their form.
- Pureed pumpkin – The star of the present, straight from a can.
- Pumpkin pie spice mix – Provides fall flavors and heat. We’ve a simple recipe utilizing spice rack staples.
What’s in pumpkin pie spice?
It is a heat autumnal spice mix comprised of widespread pantry spices so as to add an unimaginable fall taste to all of your seasonal cooking. It is comprised of floor cinnamon, nutmeg, floor ginger, allspice, and cloves. The mix known as pumpkin pie spice as a result of it is all of the spices utilized in pumpkin pie. You’ll find it at your grocery retailer or make your personal pumpkin pie spice utilizing our recipe!
Tips on how to make pumpkin oatmeal
This stovetop recipe is an easy and healthful begin to your day. Listed below are the steps:
- Make the maple pecans: Add pecans, maple syrup, butter, and salt in a small frying pan. As soon as the maple syrup boils, stir till the contents of the pan dry up. Then switch them onto a chunk of parchment paper and allow them to cool.
- Make the oatmeal: Add water, old style oats, and diced apple to a small pot and warmth till it reaches a boil. Scale back to a simmer for 5 minutes earlier than stirring within the pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice mix.
- High it off: Say good morning to your pumpkin oatmeal topped with maple pecans!
What’s the secret to one of the best oatmeal?
Good oatmeal is actually a revelation. No mushy bowls of oatmeal round right here! Take a look at these fast ideas for making scrumptious oatmeal, each time:
- Use the appropriate oats: The very best oatmeal occurs when the oats keep their texture. Old style rolled oats maintain their form, offering a satisfying chunk. Should you desire a heartier oatmeal, keep away from fast oats.
- Steadiness the liquids: A mix of water and milk could make for a creamy but not too dense consistency. This recipe makes use of pumpkin puree to moisten with out changing into mushy.
- Bear in mind to salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavour. Its a refined addition nevertheless it adjustments the sport.
- Add taste early: Add any spice powder or flavorings early on so the oats can absorb the flavour.
- High it off: We consider the toppings make the dish! See our listing of variations for extra topping recommendations.
Extra oatmeal toppings
The maple pecans are so nice with this recipe – we would suggest making a giant batch and conserving them readily available to throw into salads or related! If you wish to customise your oatmeal, listed here are another instructed toppings:
- Crunch time: Add pumpkin seeds or chia seeds, different chopped nuts, or crunchy granola clusters for distinction in texture.
- Contemporary or dried fruits: Almonds, banana slices, berries, raisins, or cranberries work nicely.
- Candy issues: Drizzle with pure maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup for additional sweetness, or a splash of vanilla extract enhances the general taste profile. Should you’re feeling indulgent, throw in some chocolate chips or sprinkle on some brown sugar or coconut sugar!
- Milk alternate options: Use cashew or almond milk as a substitute of water for a barely creamier oatmeal.
Can I take advantage of fast oats?
You’ll be able to. This recipe calls for old school oats, additionally known as rolled oats, as they supply one of the best texture. Should you determine to make use of one other kind of oats, like fast oats to avoid wasting time or steel-cut oats, you’ll want to verify the cooking directions on the label and alter the cooking time accordingly.
How do I make this dairy-free, vegan, or gluten-free?
Substitute the butter in your favourite dairy-free model to make this oatmeal dairy-free and vegan! In relation to gluten, simply you’ll want to verify the oats you might be utilizing are licensed gluten-free.
Are you able to retailer cooked oatmeal within the fridge?
Whereas oatmeal is greatest when it is heat and freshly cooked, you may retailer it within the fridge. Let the cooked oatmeal cool right down to room temperature, then put it in an hermetic container, and maintain it within the fridge for 3-4 days. Add a splash of liquid when reheating.
Combine the pecans, maple syrup, butter, and salt in a small frying pan over medium-high warmth. When the maple syrup begins to boil stir the pan till it’s dry.
¼ cup pecans, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, ½ teaspoon butter, 1 pinch sea salt
- Switch the maple pecans to a chunk of parchment paper and allow them to cool.
Serving: 1 serving = ½ of the recipe, Energy: 368kcal (18%), Carbohydrates: 61g (20%), Protein: 7g (14%), Fats: 12g (18%), Saturated Fats: 2g (13%), Polyunsaturated Fats: 4g, Monounsaturated Fats: 6g, Trans Fats: 1g, Ldl cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 168mg (7%), Potassium: 384mg (11%), Fiber: 13g (54%), Sugar: 12g (13%), Vitamin A: 5665IU (113%), Vitamin C: 6mg (7%), Calcium: 70mg (7%), Iron: 3mg (17%)